Friday, July 2, 2010

Africa Unit Study

This summer we have taken to learning about the continent of Africa. Both Hali and Aaron have participated in the mock Missions Trip to Africa with a sister church. Their experience was very eye opening.... So it only seemed appropriate that we should include this unit study during the summer.

We have done quite a few hands on activities and still many, many more to do. In fact, since Africa is actually a Theme of The Month over on my Noplace Like Home homeschooling board, we will revisit Africa at the beginning of the traditional school year. Until then, here is a sneak peak at some of the fun we have been having.


We began by learning Braille. The kids did a simple exercise of writing their names and then wrote some sentences. Many children in Africa are blind. We prayed for these children as we learned about this amazing language. Learning the spacing was a bit difficult at first, but in the end the kids got it right!

We learned about African tribes and their belief in Various gods. One of them being a rain god. So we pulled out the last of the rain sticks and went to work.


There is Chrissy with Hali and our little friend Razzia. Razzia's papa is living in Africa. We took out the globe and found Cape Town. Razzia talked to us about things her papa shares with her.

 This funny little guy was inspired by Veggie Tales. Hali was the creator of this and I didn't even know this was taken until it was time to blog! That girl cracks me up!


We spent a whole day learning Afrikan and Swahili.. We were cracking ourselves up to the point of being breathless.


The vowels are what shocked me the most. It was so hard remembering how they were different.
A= Ah!
E= Say
I= be
O= ho!
U= Too


We learned about several animals in Africa. We actually made little books to put in our lapbooks (the next part of this unit study). The kids took notes and then tried a little art project. I couldn't tell WHAT animal was what... so I skipped the picture part of that!



One of these days I will actually be organized enough to have this information available to share with others who WANT to know some interesting facts. It's something to aspire to, but I currently fall short of that mark!

5 comments:

Julia said...

You got a lot done! I love the rain sticks.. I would like to make some with the girls when we get to the TOTM

BetweenGeorgia said...

neat study!

Rhonda said...

What a great unit study. To actually have someone there whose father is actually living in Africa is just so neat.
I bet that she had a lot of good stories to tell.

Mick said...

Wahahahahahahahaha, our Pastor is american, and he teaches himself Afrikaans words. I'm sure to just crack us up. I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall for that lesson.

Jolene said...

Hali's rainstick just cracks me up, LOL. You really did do some really fun activities for your TOTM. We are nearly finished ours. We'll be doing the hands on activities next week :)