Friday, September 30, 2011

SOTW Week 3




Week 3 of SOTW 1855-1857
Dost Mohammad signs treaty with Great Britain, ending the Great Game and David Livingstone Explores Africa.

This was a fun unit that didn't look too promising when I first planned out what we were going to learn. I found it difficult to follow what the books recommendations were for the hands on projects once again, and decided to do a few of my own. While my own girls have already done an in-depth study of  Africa last year, my other co-op kids had not. My own didn't mind revisiting Africa and learning about the great sacrifices that David Livingstone made.


We created tree's in our journals and placed a heart under the tree. David Livingstone's heart was planted in the same way by the Afrikaans when he died. His body was then sent home to his family, while his heart remained forever. We labeled the the tree and sky using our Afrikaan words.


On the left hand side of our Journals we added our map work and famous men of this era.

 We practiced and added our Swahili words and Afrikaan words. Their assignment was to address and use these words to others this week. Jambo was used a lot!

 Co-op was hosted at my house this week. It gave me an opportunity to actually TEACH in my new classroom! I will have to admit... I do love my dry erase boards! On the left is our Swahili, in the middle the tree, next is Afrikaans and there to the right are some of the facts we knew about Africa before we began this unit.

Other Co-op Happenings

 Mrs. Sampson helping the littles with Art Appreciation.

 Mrs. Hildboldt with the Elementary and middle school kids. They are working on their nature sketches.
 I know that sweet girl there! Abby is sketching the flowers we planted on top of our dearly beloved Megan that had to be put down at the end of summer.
 This is actually in the middle of my "new" raspberry patch.

 I will have to say this... I LOVE these kids! Nothing can wear me out quicker than a day with these little ones! They are amazing!








0 comments: