Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who ARE these people?

"Who is this young lady?" a client asks. "This is Hali, our oldest daughter", I replied. The exchange goes back and forth for the appropriate amount of time, each person politely executing this vague social greeting. Neither will leave the others presence and actually KNOW anything about each other. Will this person go to heaven? Does he need prayer? How is his family? Does he need a hug or encouragement? As a society we "settle" for what we consider "normal". We move on. Next week that person will not be remembered. To us they have little value.

I have no desire to be normal. You guys can be normal if you want to. In our American culture "normal" means you are in debt, immorality, relational conflict/divorce, stress, confusion and loneliness. I think I will bypass all of that and live my life believing the promises that God has given.

I don't want my kids to be normal either. And I am glad that they have been raised with a heart of compassion. I can count on my kids to always do the right thing... because it's the right thing to do. This is called integrity. Do they ever mess up? Do they ever make poor choices? You bet they do! I have yet to meet that perfect person. Last I checked that was only Jesus. Each one of them know how to exercise self control. And by controlling themselves they master areas of their lives that many fall in. There are many ways that my kids don't measure up in that "normal" category. This is okay with me.


Now back to my first point. What kind of difference could I have made in my daughters life or my clients life if I would have led the conversation in a different direction?


"Who is this young lady?" a client asks. "This is Hali, our oldest daughter. Hali, this is Mr. Johnson. His son has been suffering with asthma attacks lately. Their whole family needs prayer and encouragement to get through this tough time....."  Now I have just opened this conversation to a whole new realm. Mr. Johnson has value. His family has value. Mr. Johnson walks away from our conversation knowing someone cares enough to listen. Later that night, or next week, when Mr. Johnson is discouraged and tired he KNOWS someone is praying. When we take the time to invest in others, listen, encourage and break the confines or normality we make a change for the better of all.

Here is the same conversation in a different light.

 "Who is this young lady?" a client asks. "This is Hali, our oldest daughter. Hali, this is Mr. Johnson. He has lived in this same town for over 60 years! He can tell you stories about how so many things have changed over time. He was just telling me a story about how his family had the very first television on the block. His son just bought him this new phone he hasn't learned to use yet, but he figures if he could figure out that first TV then he can figure out his phone!"...... Now we have bridged the gap of generations. Chances are, my child will volunteer to show him how to use his phone. My daughter walks away knowing she has helped Mr. Johnson and Mr. Johnson walks away thinking a little differently about today's generation of kids. If we make just small investments into other people, the world around US will change.

Let me encourage you, even challenge you to break away from "normal" and reach out to others. You really do make a difference.

Blessings,
Jenn








 

2 comments:

Mama Teaching 3 said...

This was an amazing blog post. I needed to hear that. I do need to open up conversation more with my children and those we interact with. What an encouragement. It is also just proper. Thankyou.

wendy said...

Amen sister. I have tears in my eyes from this beautiful post.