Friday, September 30, 2011

Update on the Ducklings...

Do you guys remember these little guys? I got them back at the beginning of the summer.



 During a short period of insanity I gave into my girls. "Please mommy! We want ducks!" You see, up to this point I was an avid chicken whisperer. I loved my 2 little ladies whom have given me many moments of companionship and joy.
Ducks? WHAT am I going to do with ducks? I had absolutely NO IDEA how to raise ducks. 
During this summer, we had a bad storm tear through the area and we lost power. Some time between 2 AM and 5 AM we lost Anna and Stardust. They were my girls' new babies. Our best guess was a raccoon or Opossum. Our neighbors to the West of us had a greater loss. Mama and Papa duck, along with 9 ducklings and 3 chickens. It was a very sad day in our neighborhood. Abby loved Anna so much!
So, in my compassion for the girls I gave in. We some how ended up with the 2 duckings you see floating around in the pressure cooker (I thought it was cute!). The black and yellow one we named Jeremiah Puddleduck
and the little grey and yellow one we named Marshmallow....
I do call her Marsha now....
Just like all babies grow... so did my little ducklings....




   
I had no idea what sex these birds would end up being... I am so glad that Jeremiah ended up being male! And Marsha is a female... That means I will be having ducklings before too long! Now, let me tell you how much I adore these ducks! THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN! What personalities they have!
Before you run out and and get yourself a couple, let me warn you that they are MAJOR mess makers and full of mischievousness! They poop like crazy and need a pool or pond. They are very opinionated and will tell you EXACTLY what they think if you are not pleasing them. They are super fast even though they waddle... and they have sharp nails!
While I have never eaten a duck egg in my life, I hear they are superior to chicken eggs. I suspect that if I don't collect the eggs when Marsha starts laying them that lots of little duckling will be born over the winter or first thing next spring.
I now understand fully how Beatrix Potter managed to write so many stories about ducks!

Blessings,
Jenn



1 comments:

Kristine said...

Oh,I'd better not let my kids see this. Your ducks are too sweet! They would want a dozen in a hurry. Lol! I love how cuddly the duck is with your daughter.