Friday, January 22, 2010

The chocolate Breakfast

For the last few years Van & Bonnie from WHO radio in Des Moines, Iowa have hosted a chocolate breakfast. Each year, the number of visitors grow. Last year we were told to expect 3K or so. They had close to 6K if I remember correctly!

So this year, we are expecting more than last year. What does that have to do with homeschooling? Everything! You see, one of the way's I can afford to homeschool is by selling chocolate! That's right! Everyone LOVES chocolate and it's been a very good way for me to afford all of those "extra's" you see us do.

It takes us about a month to get ready for the chocolate breakfast. This year, I am WAY behind! I simply have not felt good, had the energy or really any motivation. I have procrastinated! Anyone who really knows me, knows that I am NOT a procrastinator. In fact, it simply drives me insane.

This week we began making samples. We only have 855 samples made and packed up. We have several more to make and THEN I can start on actual product.

Did I mention I am having website issues also? For some reason my shopping cart is unlinked and I am running out of time! Do I hear any volunteers? Not in this household!

So, I am going to be showing pictures this next week of how a homeschooling family runs a business or two, AND keeps everyone on track!


This is what 600 or so samples look like. We first make our chocolate, flavor it if we want to, pour into molds, tap and freeze. We then have to  let them come back to room temperature and then box them up.



We then place them inside of bakers boxes in layers. This will keep them from scratching and also make it easier for us at the show. We will just pull out a layer and slide them onto silver serving trays.



So far we only have the pinks, reds and maroons done. I still have white, milk chocolate and mint chocolate samples to make.


10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Best of luck getting everything together! You can do it :)

BetweenGeorgia said...

yummy!

Rhonda said...

How in the world do you ever find the time to homeschool? I applaud you for getting it all done. You are a superwoman!

Eagle Star Academy said...

OH YUMMY!! I love chocolate and those look divine!! Good luck with getting it all done. I know you can do it!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

There are so many! I love it!

Jenn said...

You are superwoman! I don't know how you get so much done & homeschool too. Good luck at the show! I know you'll be ready. :)

Jolene (South Africa) said...

All the best and getting everything together before you leave. Those look tasty!!!

Julia said...

Those look awesome! And very yummy LOL

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Oooh! Those look yummy and so pretty!

Motherbird said...

Now I'm gonna have the phrase "chocolate breakfast" stuck in my head...such a dreamy idea. Hope you sell lots!