Sunday, January 17, 2010

Finishing out week 22

I had really planned to finish all of my weekly blogging on Friday night. I have no remembrance of what I was doing that was more important than blogging. Any way, it didn't get done.

Thursday and Friday we tried to be as productive as we could. I know that sometimes when everyone is not feeling well, that is hard to do. This was the case with both girls, so there will be few, if any pictures of them.

We have been finishing up our Biomes for Deciduous forests and Grasslands. We studied temperate grasslands in depth since we live in one.

I had the girls go through the stack of Missouri Conservationist magazines (I have about 100-150) different ones and find pictures that relate to both of their biomes. This project actually took about an hour longer than I had planned because they kept reading the articles and looking at ALL the photos! Haha.. I love homeschooling for this very reason. Even though it seems that we got behind, they we in the midst of LEARNING themselves! Priceless!


Abby's forest

 
Abby's Grasslands



Hali's Grasslands



Hali's forest

Honestly, I sat the books and supplies in front of the girls and told them what I wanted. I was checking reading comprehension and processing skills in them. They listened very well to the lessons and even included animals that were not mentioned in the actual study. We has some conversations about what each ate, made their homes, needed for an environment and then they decided if they fit or not.



We worked on review tests because Hali is moving to the next level. Some day I should share how exactly I do my spelling. I am sure some folks would have a fit!




Virtues quotes and cursive practice. I took a picture of these because of the bottom line. It says "check your work, is it neat?" I had to laugh because Hali usually answers either yes or no. She said maybe!



I am really loving these quotes and the handwriting practice. I feel this was a good choice for us this Semester!



We started a project on winter with Abby. I love putting these little books together. Abby takes pride on how they turn out and since they all stay together, she often takes them back out to look through.
We are currently studying animals that migrate and animals that hibernate. Next week it's animals that change color.



How and where Abby would take her long winter's nap.



Hibernation facts and mini book. This is included in the winter book with the bunny a couple pictures up.



Animals that migrate and fact sheets. There is also one on Blue Whales that I included in her portfolio and is not part of this book because of it's size. We will finish filling in each of these pages with winter facts, animal facts and so forth next week.




5 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

I seriously love seeing everything you do!

Julia said...

Great work... I think I am going to have to print out those copywork sheets... Laney's handwriting needs a LOT of work LOL I just love seeing everything you are doing!

Jenn said...

Jenn, I have to say you are very inspiring. I don't know how you have time to do all that you do. I struggle just getting through the basics! Great job, mom!

Jolene (South Africa) said...

Those are fantastic, well done on the great spelling Abbie!

Rhonda said...

I really enjoyed seeing the girls work they did on the Biomes unit. Very nice. Oh don't you just love putting stickers on the worksheets when the kids do well. Hannah gets so sad because I don't put any on her paperwork anymore. I guess you just never outgrow some things. LOL! Y'all are doing some great work.