Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Missouri's New Laws Call for Portfiolio Maintance Part 2

Did I mention how much I absolutely LOVE learning how to do things I have no clue about? Yep, my friends will all tell  you that while I may be quite proficient at it, it's something I almost dread doing. I think there is something that worries me about it turning out wrong, or not quite understanding what is expected.

Now that this deep seated confession is exposed, let's continue with pictures of Hali's Portfolio!


Beautiful is better... These are about 16x22 inches. They are actually designed to be scrapbook portfolio's. I wonder if the manufacture would like to market them this way?



One of the very consistent things I try to do in my classroom on a daily basis is something I call Creative Word Prompts. I believe that writing should be fun. I also believe if  we stifle our love of writing by doing too many reports, worthless information gathering and redundant repetition then we fail. All of my kids are fantastic story weaver and LOVE standing  up when it's time for sharing to recite their story for the day. I always tend to pick a topic that will spur their minds into digging deep. If you have problems with a child learning to write, creating a story or expressing themselves articulately, may I suggest  you try this every day for a year?  I PROMISE you will raise a talented writer!
So this picture is the bundle of short stories I asked Hali to choose. I asked for three and her response was "Only Three!" No problem with sharing our creativity here.



I added a couple samples of Spanish. This wonderful program was created by my friend Heather from the Homeschool board. Don't you wish you had friends like them? Heather even created a whole alphabet for me to hang along the classroom ceiling for our exercises!



Unit study on the Solar System



Unit study on Rome. I plan to include a few of her Roman projects and pictures with this unit.



All of Hali's spelling tests are excellent! How can a homeschooler NOT make a perfect grade? You simply repeat until it's correct!



Another spelling test



Unit study on Fire Prevention. I will be including pictures of her at the fire station and doing the activities here in the classroom.



Math, math and more math. I have included about 60 pages so far.




and yet MORE math!



I see that I am lacking dearly in photos! Oh well. It's late and I still have one more post to do. Like I mentioned in the post with Abby's portfolio, I am sure to change this several times so I will be sure to share more photos then!

3 comments:

BetweenGeorgia said...

beautiful portfolios!

Rhonda said...

I really like those portfolios. They are gorgeous. I am so jealous. In a good way though. =P

Heather the Mama Duk said...

You have seriously done an incredible job with those! I love the books you got to put them in.