Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sneak peak at our biomes!

I had originally stated that I wanted to do the biomes all at once. I should have looked ahead to see when the tropical rain forest study was. It's actually this next week, and since I realize we are going to slow down to make this a major study... I felt I should wrap up the two Biomes we have been working on and share them.

After looking through Missouri's core competencies and Key Skills for Missouri skills, I noticed that this should actually be covered for Hali next year. No biggie however, since I am a home school mamma that's going to teach what I want and actually have to freedom to do so in our state. Abby is doing it WAY early! Once again, I don't think this is going to hurt her!


Hali created a three season Biome for Deciduous Forests.



This is her winter camp out. For the record, girl scouts DO camp in the winter! I just love her little fire!



Her body of water including her fish. The fish are here for the bears! LOL







This is the winter side of her biome. She is trying to illustrate a burrow in a tree for those animals who hibernate, the floor of the forest covered in leaves and nuts, along with the changes of the season's... Making the tree snow covered.



This is the fall side which shows the floor of the forest littered with leaves, berries that animals would be eating right before hibernation and even a log/ burrow for animals to live in for the season. Her tree's reflect the change of the season and the change of chloraphill.

 
Hali is showing the summer forest here where both leaves, treas and animals are enjoying the break from poor weather. This is MY favorite season and Biome to visit!



A look straight across.


Now for Abby's Biome. Because of our shortage of shoe boxes, and the fact that I only wanted them to do one biome replica, Abby got the grasslands. Nothing against grasslands... It's just that they are boring! Hahaha. Living a few stones throw's from the Kansas State line, we are VERY familiar with what these environments include. There simply is not a whole bunch you can do with the grasslands... after all... It's grass!



Abby's full scale grassland. She even added a bit of color for the sky and for the sun.



Not the best picture, but here is her stream with a fish.



Her wild flowers growing in no place particular.



This actually was her inspiration. I think she did a great job working with almost nothing! If I would have thought ahead, I also would have had them work with either oils/ water colors to do a painting also.

Next week is the Rain Forest! I am anticipating this to actually take 2 full weeks but, I am never certain!


7 comments:

Julia said...

They did a great job on those!

Stephanie said...

I remember having to do dioramas of the desert when I lived in CA. Those can be pretty boring sometimes too :)

Awesome job on the displays though!

Jenn said...

Those are great! I think the girls did an amazing job.

Jolene (South Africa) said...

Those look great, well done

Rhonda said...

The girls did a great job on these. That campfire is too cute and I love the little fish jumping out of the stream. Very creative. Great job girls!

Jill said...

Wow...these are amazing! What a great project!

Eagle Star Academy said...

Great work, girls!!