Thursday, February 4, 2010

Trip to Iowa Part 2

The Iowa State Capital and Friends in the Lord

Ever wonder what life would be like if you didn't do something homeschool related for just a week? Some how, some way, we always manage to fit one activity or another in!

We had made plans to spend the day with Bruce and his lovely wife Tanya, along with their little's. Since I also wanted to spend as much time with Imelda and Anders as I could I asked Bruce if he minded if she came. He was game so we loaded up the car and drove down to Des Moines. There was a minor discussion as to whether going to the historical society or the state capital would be better. The state capital won out because, as luck would have it, the Senate and House of Representatives were meeting and a homeschool law was on the line. Iowa had around 1500 homeschool families in attendance at the capital. When I walked in, one of the advocates from Iowa asked if I was there for the homeschooling group. I replied that I was not, but I was a homeschooler from Missouri. She invited us to join their group for the day. Bruce and his wife Tanya just began their homeschooling adventure this last year. It was SO AWESOME to see all those kids there!

We opted to do our own tour, however it was short because the place was so crowded. Nick got to talk to some of the guys from the Senate and the house. Did you know they wear different color jackets depending which side they are on?

 
Looking up to the dome. Beautiful paintings and gold gilded.



A little funny about Abby. I was taking this picture and she was tugging on my sweatshirt. When I addressed her, I could tell she was upset. I asked her what she wanted. She stated " You would think that would be inappropriate in a place like this." I asked her what she was talking about. Embarrassed, she pointed up to the paintings where there were naked women. Yes, she is SURELY my daughter!



Bruce and his family. THANKFULLY they remembered a stroller and allowed us to put Anders in it. It also helped us out as being a coat collector.


Abby made some new friends! Caitlin and Danielle.


Here they are looking at the encased displays.


A relica of the USS Iowa.


The capital is filled with such beautiful artwork. This picture is called Westward Journey I think.


The girls striking a pose on the third floor overlook.

 
After wearing ourselves out, we took in a fantastic little mexican place.


See Imelda back there using those American hand gestures? We had a fantastic time during lunch!


I have to hand it to Bruce and Tanya, their kids are very well behaved and such little sweetie pies! I consider myself blessed to have been able to share the day with them!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Thank you for sharing all of the great photos. It looks like a wonderful experience.

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Nice field trip!

BetweenGeorgia said...

wow! How interesting!