Sunday, April 25, 2010

Federal Reserve Money Museum Field Trip

Some of you guys remember me telling you we started a new Homeschool support group. I am having a great time meeting other parents and we are slowly getting tuned in to making time to do things with other families! We have had a great time. The South Kansas City Homeschool Support Group decided to make this our first field trip. I believe I was told there were either 40 or 50 people that came. Maybe 40 that signed up and 50 that actually came? Anyway it was a great trip. VERY educational and they had something for all age groups!

You can see more of the facility and what it offers here at The federal money museum of Kansas City.

Just finished checking out the Truman Coin Collection...

One of the objects was to answer several pages of scavenger hunting questions scattered throughout the museum.

Some of the other families looking for information.

Here is my kiddo's searching for answers. This was really hard!

There was tons of information to be found in the interactive displays.

Someday she could be a female president on the front a bill, right?

I love the look of money on her! LOL

It's not every day that you get to take your picture in front of $40 Million Dollars!

Aaron was REALLY thinking he would like to take some of this cash home with him!

Just one more picture mom! I don't think his friends would have believed his "fish story" without seeing the actual proof!

The levels are marked and yes, this really was the real deal. Across from this and down a bit was the vault and the sorting areas that are viewable to the public. We were asked not to take pictures of these areas because of security issues. I love my camera so I obeyed!

Here is a pic of Abby and myself. You see that bag she has in her hands? This is a couple hundred dollars that are actually shredded in this facility. They package it and send it home to parents so WE can clean up all the mess. They sure have this recycling thing down....

Here is a 27 pound brick of 99.9% solid gold. It was a very impressive site. The people who move these bars of gold actually wear protective clothing because it is so soft it scratches and the gold dust is everywhere. You cannot read this very well but it says that at the time of this picture this bar was worth $489,110! I wouldn't mind having a few of these at my house in a safe!

So that wraps up our time at the Money Museum. We learned so much more in just a few hours than I think we have in a whole year of Economics! I am very serious!

3 comments:

BetweenGeorgia said...

wow that looks like such a fun place!

Rhonda said...

Wow, Jenn! What a great place to bring the kids for a field trip. All that money...drool! Yes, I could see Miss Abby on the front of bill as the first woman president. :0)

Julia said...

What a neat trip! I love the picture of Abby in the money LOL