Sunday, April 25, 2010

I gatta go back to this holiday...

Somehow I lost track of time and didn't manage to get anything posted about St. Patrick's Day. So I am going to re-wind just for this post so I can share this fantastic lapbook and charting activity!

Now, for the record... Lucky Charm cereal cost a fortune. I don't buy sugar cereals for my kids. Never have and never will. I think amping them up on a ton of sugar first thing in the morning and then EXPECTING them to sit quietly and concentrate is a no brainer. However for this occasion I needed a box (which was almost $6.00 if I remember right) and sent Nick to the store to get it.

We separated all the charms...

We counted all the pieces. Then graphed them, figuring percentages. I LOVE fun math!

They then color coordinated the graph and we answered questions.

The best part... they were able to use their manipulatives as a snack!


St. Patrick's Day and Ireland Lapbook, which we coordinated with a book on tape about a couple kids who immigrated during the Potato Famine to America and the trials and tribulations they faced.

I never knew Ireland had so many names until we did this lapbook!

The church history of St. Patrick and also how the day is celebrated around the world. Did you know that the president receives a bowl of fresh shamrocks as a good will gesture from Ireland?

Learning about the castles and the bloody history of the Celts was a real experience. We would all like to visit some of these one day. Do you know why kissing the blarney stone was so dangerous?

Customs, dress, a bit o' history and the fable of leprechauns.

And lastly we finished up with Sports and blessings! Which some how tend to go hand in hand at this house!

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Not only is Lucky Charms way too expensive, it's a major rip-off considering it was mostly not charms. Those marshmallow things are the whole reason to buy it and it was certainly not stuffed with them.

Rhonda said...

Wow! $6.00 for a box of cereal. Now I remember why we don't eat a lot of those Name brand cereals in our house. I do like all of the St. Patrick's Day activities that you planned. Great homeschooling.