Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nelson Atkins Museum of Art

I am going to be honest. We are not really one of those fine arts kind of families. Maybe years ago, but not now. I personally love art. My rough and tumble kids however have not come to appreciate it quite yet. This year at least they did find some pieces of interest. Thank goodness for Hali, who seems that I can hold hope out for. She and I will return again soon to spend a bit more time looking at European art and check out the new Egyptian exhibit.

I will say this... The Modern art had the boys' attention. They met up with a fantastic curator who gave them a fantastic inside scoop to the pieces in his area. So modern art and Medieval Art is their thing!

To find out more about the collections including Monet, Rembrandt,Titian, Bronzino, Strozzi, Reni, Guercino, Castiglione, Sebastiano Ricci, Canaletto, Gianquinto, Panini, Traversi and Guardi visit The Museum's website.

The stairs are a real killer!

Nick & Aaron actually shot a movie for youth group here on this location. It was Rocky themed and by the time they ran and re-ran these stairs Nick was exhausted!

The Shuttlecocks are the signature series that most know Kansas City by.

Sorry about the quality here but no flash is allowed! Not every often you get to take a picture next to impressionist Art.

So here we are traveling in a group of 5. Hali has gone up ahead just a bit and all of a sudden she comes running back saying "I have finally found HIM"... So we are like... Okay... find who? We didn't know anyone was missing! Hali said... "I finally found my Knight in shining Armor! He DOES exist!".... LOL
I SOOOOOOO love that child!

So here she is with her "Man"...

This is the kind of Art we all could relate to. I often wonder if the end of the world doesn't happen soon... what people in a couple of  hundred years are going to think about us?

I really found this twig and mud sculpture pretty awesome.

The boys are still trying to figure out what exactly this says...

A chair that is long enough for Nick to sit in and stretch out his legs!

This one in person was actually quite beautiful. The mirrored art and the woman's eyes spoke volumes in vanity of women.

And lastly this was my all time favorite in Contemporary Art. She wore and itsy bitsy teeny weenie yellow polka dot bikini!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

My girls would have loved the Medieval art. I loved Hali's comment that she made about her knight in shining armor. Too cute!

Julia said...

Fun... some of those pieces are really neat!