Saturday, November 6, 2010

Bread Making

One of the biggest desires of my heart recently has been to learn how to make home made wheat bread.
About 2 months ago purchased a manual grain mill and began grinding our own grain.
Then, my dear friend and director of FHE region 3 home educators offered to show me the easier way.
Now to be honest, I didn't believe that ANYONE could make 6-8 loaves of bread in about an hour.
She offered to show me. So I shuffled the men out the door to the Chiefs game and I headed to the lake house to see this miracle.

In the spirit of the Harvest season... This cute Jack-o-lantern pizza became lunch. Candy (that's my friend) thinks of everything!

One of the things I learned was that I REALLY need a couple of tools I do not have in order to make this process MUCH easier!

So on my Christmas list is either a Nutri Mill or a Whisper Mill. Seriously these things are amazing! They grind the grain so quickly... and without all of that sweat.


The secret to bread that only needs to be risen ONCE is this little machine right here. This is a Sosch Universal mixer and blender. It has a double mixer that stretches the gluten.

So here was the process:
Grind you grain. If you are grinding extra grain put it straight into the FREEZER. Apparently the vitamins and nutrients start rapidly decreasing an hour after the grind. Freezing stops this process.

Add 5 Cups of Wheat Flour into the mixer. Add 3 1/2 Cups of HOT water. Next is 1/2 Cup of oil and then lastly 1/2 C Honey. Candy likes to use oils I don't normally have in my house. For now I will use olive oil. Next comes 1+ heaping Tablespoon of dough enhancer, 1 Tablespoon of salt and 3 Tablespoons of SAF yeast. Candy told me to get both the enhancer and the yeast at Natures Pantry. 
Click on the mixer for a few seconds and then shut it off. We will let this rest for 10 minutes now. The flour is absorbing the water.
After 10 minutes we will start up the mixer again and slowly add 4-5 cups more of wheat flour. The dough should clean up nicely off the sides. Continue beating for 2 minutes.

Spray your pans with non stick cooking spray. This recipe will make 6 loaves of large bread.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Now, Candy being an awesome woman of Proverbs 31, decided she would show me how to make cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls and fancy braided breads that I can stuff. Let me tell you.... I stand in complete amazement!

Look at how HUGE and beautiful these loaves are! They stayed fresh all week long and were light and fluffy.

The little ladies came along to take this class for me but ended up playing with Candy's daughter instead! No worries! They will have plenty of practice at home!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Yum... that looks delicious!

BetweenGeorgia said...

mmm homemade bread

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Jamie likes making bread. He got a HUGE bread recipe book a few years ago and has made many of the recipes in there. We got the Bosch just because of him and his breadmaking lol