Sunday, November 14, 2010

More Thanksgiving fun...

One of the units that Blake has been working on in Home Economics is cooking. Baking to be exact.

So out come the pans and we set off to do an afternoon of baking.

We made 3 loaves of lumpy bread, but they tasted good. Two pans of cinnamon rolls and 3 pans of dinner rolls. Here is Blake rolling up the cinnamon rolls.

Here are some of their creations. Hali and Blake worked on these for quite a while. The end result was very yummy!

We gathered pine cones and other outdoor treasures at the beginning of the week. Here the kids are painting their pine cone swags. Next week we will hang them on the front doors. They turned out wonderful!

My lefty has to concentrate to make sure she get's the look she wants.

Fantastic!

While outside gathering pine cones we also gathered leaves in order to make leaf print place holders. Once the paint dried we added the names of those people we were spending Turkey day with.


Remember that stamping I told you about in the last post? Here is an example of how they turned out.
This is Robert Frost "The Road Not Taken".

And this one is John Keats "To Autumn". The kids are giving these away as gifts to their hostesses.

Every good home schooling mom has a good fail once in a while, right? Well... I came upon this awesome recipe that was INDIAN CORN. You were supposed to take corn puff cereal, marshmallows, dehydrated fruit and Fruit leather and make these really cute corn cobs with a stick in them. Suzie taught class this particular morning because I was called away on business. To say the least she was frustrated with both me and my recipe when I came home.
Total fail. But they sure tasted yummy according to Hali.
They just fell apart.

And this is what it became.

Moving on... These are my little Turkey day Mascots. They currently reside on my bookcase in the livingroom.

Left over Africa work

Abby did a monkey one as well that turned out very cute. I don't know where the picture has gone.

Jamestown Lapbook. Just in time. I had Blake and Hali do this project and told them they had less than 2 hours to finish it and get the mess cleaned up. You can tell they rushed through it.


I wonder why Blogger insists on turning my pictures every which way but right?



To start our Asia unit off, we made home made papers. We will construct a journal next month when we return from break.
Digging through the recycling box to find the colors they wanted.

Here you can see how they are drying the paper a bit on the frames before they start to remove it. They made green and Orange paper this time.

As part of our Antarctica Theme we did the blubber experiment. I couldn't resist since we covered both Whales and Penguins. The kids thought it was great fun to pressure each other into keeping their hands in the water. Hali made it 4 minutes without any blubber as protection.

I think that is is for my random posts of this week. I did want to mention that along with Frost and Keats we also studied Francis Scott Keys "The Star Spangled Banner". I thought it appropriate on Veterans day. What amazes me is that even though it is our national anthem, most Americans only know the first and last verse. Most don't know the story behind it.

4 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

You guys do such awesome activities... even if they don't turn out sometimes!

Rhonda said...

All of the baking goodies look delicious. YUM! Sorry that your Indian Corn recipe didn't work out, but hey at least it was yummy. I really like the stamping project and the placecards are just awesome. You have such great ideas!

BetweenGeorgia said...

Yummy! Now I want cinnamon rolls!

Kristine said...

I really like all your Thanksgiving creations. Those cinnamon rolls are making my mouth water!