Friday, October 30, 2009

Slimy Experiments

We don't Celebrate Halloween, but that's no reason NOT to have some fun! We would  have normally had a fall festival today but we didn't plan ahead so... We're not complaining though. We sat down for a few hours and did some pretty cool experiments. I really thought the girls would enjoy them, so imagine my surprise when the boys had just as much fun!

I am going to be honest here. We tried the water bender experiment and we just didn't have enough static electricity to make it work!
We did however have a couple successful runs with Guck and Oobleck.




Oobleck is not a polymer. Instead, it is a colloid suspension, a substance in which the molecules do not settle. It is a solid and a liquid at the same time.

Here is the simple recipe. Make sure you use newspaper or paper plates to protect your surfaces.
1/2 box of cornstartch
3/4 C. Water
Food coloring
Mix well. This experiment was so SIMPLE yet one of the favorites!


 

 
Nobody believed her when she said it was hard....



From everyone else's angle the oobleck appeared to be a liquid...because it is. Until you pick it up. Then its not.

Here are a couple video's that we took










We then began our Guck experiment. It was quite messy but all of the kids put their own baggies in their own areas and I have seen them take out their Guck and play with it. I wonder what it is about these chemical toys that send mom's flocking to the stores at Christmas time to fill their little ones stocking with them?

If you didn't know, Gak!, Silly Putty, Floam, Smud and Guck are all made up of Polymerized chemicals. Polymers basically consist of long chains of molecules that are flexible and that cross-link every which way. When the right chemicals are mixed, the molecules from the chemicals cross link and create a polymerized liquid.

If you pull a polymer apart slowly, the molecules hold together and stretch. If you pull it apart quickly it snaps because the molecules can't hold together.



  

 

 
I love this face!



 

 

 

 

And now to our video









6 comments:

Rhonda said...

I loved these videos. My kids would have said the same thing that your kids did in the last video. I was laughing so hard.

retrocutie from NPLH said...

So, I'm a monkey see, monkey do kind of person...What's the recipe for the Guck? I just KNOW DS is going to want to do that too!

Jenn said...

FUN stuff! Justin's begging to do both of those right now. lol Guess I know what we'll be doing later. ;)

Kristine said...

I didn't know you didn't celebrate Halloween. I thought we were the only ones. =0)

I love your experiments. It's neat to see your older ones getting in on the fun too. Love it!

Julia said...

Those are SO cool!!! The girls and I are going to have to try these!

Unknown said...

What cool experiment things!