Saturday, October 3, 2009

Workbox Check up

So if you have been following my blog you know we introduced workboxes this year. They have worked wonderfully so far with Abby. I feel like we get 3x's more done in a day than we did before. Every morning she can see what is ahead of her and is very excited about the "extras" that she finds in the boxes. These are the fun learning things...

While shopping this last week I found this organizer for $5.00. Thats five bucks for the whole thing, not each. So I bring it home and Nick helped me set it up. It turned out to be PERFECT for Abby because it has 12 compartments and plenty of room for her extras like lapbooks and games. We put it right to use.

I decided to use the Spanish and English words on the boxes and then the small numerals on her workstrip.


The only space I had left to stick it was in between the table and my desk.



This is what it looks like empty.



And here Abby is counting out all 12 boxes in Spanish.



This is what it looks like in the morning when its full. I actually try to fill them before I leave the classroom at the end of the day.



As you can see here, I add fun little projects in the boxes. Usually box #12 has something really fun in it. Abby happens to enjoy making pom pom animals.. so she was thrilled.



Here are her math items for a hands on project we were doing in both math and science.



I print off copy pages as a whole and then store them in a 3 ring binder. This is Abby's cursive copy work. Her cursive is greatly improved since we introduced it a couple weeks ago.



Abby's first box of the day is always science. She also gets her "word" of the day. These are the Dulch words that she couldn't quickly tell me what they were. She instead had to sound them out. Once she gets her word, says it correctly then it goes on our word wall. She then repeats all the previous words on the word wall and ends with the current one. During the day we will all ask her what her word is, how to spell it and how its used in a sentence.



The small number is the tag I put on her workstrip. Once she is done with her workbox then she takes the number off of her strip and places it in the corner of these boxes. I attached a small bit of velcro to hold it.

3 comments:

Jolene (South Africa) said...

I just love your new workboxes, esp the bilingual number tags, what an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

The boxes are a great idea...

Unknown said...

That's a great deal on that set up! I love how you have the numbers in English and Spanish.