Friday, September 18, 2009

Finishing up week 5

We have been working on a unit study these past five weeks about Rome. Along the way we have done some fun and exciting projects, learned some interesting facts and finally we are getting close to being finished with the unit. There were a couple things I wanted the kids to do. One of them is to create a Mosaic of some sort and the second one is to make a treasure box. The treasure box hopefully will be completed this week. That is IF I can find the box that holds the wood burner... We will see.


Aaron being creative and a little grumpy about his picture being taken.



Hali working out her design



I decided since Abby is studying the seasons that she should do a couple also. This is her "Autumn" tree.




And this sideways one is her winter Mosaic. I OBVIOULSY cant figure out  how to turn these for the blog. They are going the RIGHT way in my pictures.



Hali's Mosaic is of the Aqua-duct system in ancient Rome.




Aarons Mosiac is of the great Roman Coloseium. I think he was taken by all the battles fought here.

We alos got to do some other "fun" but educational stuff this week. The girls found Neon Sticker Art in their work boxes and they also got some free time to play with and discover the building 10 blocks. This was really encouraged in the books and I thought it wouldn't hurt. The idea is to have them completely comfortable with the blocks and other learning centers before you start actually teaching with them. I thought there for a while that I would never have to buy another toy again. These kids LITERALLY were down in the classroom for HOURS on our days off creating things with them.




Neon Sticker Art. Hali enjoyed this project quite a bit. Once you have outlined, you then let it dry and then fill in the middle. Once it is completely dry you pull the pages apart and attach them to any window like stained glass.




Nick lounging in the butterfly chair (HOW that ended up in the classroom I STILL don't know) reading his Bible. (Such a good boy)



My game recommendation of the week~ Reading between the lines. This is a fantastic game that gives a short story and then asks the main point, or a detail from the story. They provide multiple choice answers. Each person has a little ship, can pick their path to finish and also can have their flag captured. Abby loved this game, even though it was educational she didn't think it was school work. Hali didn't mind playing one round with her, then I took the second round. I feel that this was a pretty good investment.



Abby's creations with all the new math manipulatives we got at the end of last week.




Creativity at its finest. I think all the kids worked on this one.

6 comments:

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful week, with lots of learning and fun. WTG everyone!

Julia said...

my kids play with their manipulatives like that too. In fact, I don't think they have ever actually been used for math... just for building LOL Those stickers are SO neat! And the mosaics turned out great :)

Tisha said...

Great week! I love the mosaics and I badly need some math manipulatives!

Unknown said...

It seems like everybody is having so much FUN ;-)

~Jenn~ said...

I really LOVE the manipulatives! This week we are going to actually use them HOW they are designed! LOL

Unknown said...

All of that looks fun. I like their manipulative creation.