Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lapbooking fun~ Ocean Basics


This year a wonderful friend introduced me to lap booking (Thanks Julia). I have taken the idea and ran with it. I am currently using the lap book with just Hali and Abby. I have not come across anything yet that would be good and productive for the boys. As you can see, these lap books are done by the kids. I did put a different twist on our lap books however. I am trying to do a lap book and unit study on the same thing. That way the lap book can reiterate what they are learning inside of the unit study. I happened across some super sized file folders. These are the kind that protect large paintings and commercial blueprints. Normal lap books are generally made from file folders used for small businesses and such. Because I have so much room available in them, I decided that it would be a brilliant idea if I could attach the unit studies to it.








Imagine Abby's surprise when she saw these ugly fish with no eyes in the midnight zone. She decided even IF she could go to the bottom of the ocean, she didn't want to. Pictured here is her unit study that shows the zones of the ocean. This unit study was filled with good information and good pictures to help her visualize what they are taking about. At the end of the study there are several work pages that test the comprehension for that unit.






















I think every scrapbooker loves to see stickers and embellishments on their kids work.













Abby was so surprised when she found out about the 5 oceans and them being connected. What was really great was that she comprehended that oceans were both warm and cold. We included some of the cold water animals and activities in this lap book. I think when most of us think about oceans we only think about the warm water animals. Abby learned about penguins, polar bears, seahorses, sharks and fish.





This is a memory matching game. When I printed out these cards I was shocked to know there was so many different kinds! Eventually we will match up the pictures on these cards with the collection currently housed in my bathroom (from our many trips to Louisiana~ Thank you Tonya, Nana and Papa Tom) and will do identification. Until then she can continue to play the memory game with her sister.






3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Wow, what an imagination. I bet your kids are just loving this! And having everything in one place is awesome! Are you attaching the unit studies to the front of the file folder with paper fasteners(brads)? From viewing the photo, it seems like that is how it is being done. I use the smaller file folders. I wonder if this would work with them too,as far as being sturdy goes. I think that I am going to have to try it.

~Jenn~ said...

Yep, I use the brads... and YES it will work on a file folder. If you do a trifold, you will have to put it in the middle (what you see when you open it up). I think this would fill a smaller unit study up so there wont be alot of empty space. I am thinking that if a unit study was several sections long, you could attach your folders for those parts, and then split the unit study. Then you could use the books and crafts to fill it in.

Julia said...

I love the idea of attaching the unit study! Very creative!