Friday, September 11, 2009

Workboxes, Strips and school store

We have finished our second sucessful week of using the workboxes and task strips. I think this may cost me a fortune because we are using the school store reward system. The boys have been EXCELLENT in making sure they are finished with all their tasks assigned (except vacuum their rooms!). The girls have done SO well and are setting their own pace. Abby has been THRILLED with this system, which was a MAJOR shocker for me. She says to me in the morning "Hurry up mommy! I have to work on my boxes!"... If for some reason I have been delayed she will go to the classroom and get started RIGHT away. I am just standing in amazement. We have always had a pretty good program of organization in place. I think the actual ability to remove the number or task from their workstrips is what the motivation is. The sense of accomplishment after a hard day of COMPLETED assignements is very rewarding.

These are some of the goodies we have available in the school store.
What our ledger looks like. This one is Abby's. They each have their own.
I laminated some cash I found at the store. I have up to $50 denominations. I will give the kids their "balance" using these each Thursday.
Here is Abby with her purchases. She was THRILLED and also managed to save a dollar towards next week.
Here is Aaron filling out his ledger and receiving his money.
And he then tore into his candy. For those of  you who don't know, I seldom let my kids have candy. I have my reasons. So it's not surprising that three of the four went straight for the treats!
Hali filling her ledger out.
Hali FIRST chose some really cool fluffy socks. THEN  she smelled her brothers candy and got a little sample. The socks went back and the candy corn was purchased instead. LOL
Here on the board I have the five areas they must attain in order to get credit that day for the store. Each task is worth a quarter. Additionally, on the right hand side are BONUS cash items. Reflecting the fruit of the Spirit and being especially helpful and encouraging. We ended up listing the fruit of the Spirit at the end of the week on the board. Each morning after Prayer, pledge and preamble we discuss the day before. Each child is accountable for themselves, but the other kids can correct a false statement if they see a need to. The kids can earn $7.00 per week for the school store.
Oh, and if your wondering WHERE Nick is in all of this, I yelled for him to come cash in and he decided he wanted to save for his big item. I have it stashed away, and is a surprise. He just knows it has SOMETHING to do with his favorite Kansas City Football Team...

4 comments:

Tisha said...

Awesome!! Everything looks great!!

Rhonda said...

Everything looks great! You really have it together.

Unknown said...

Abby is really cute ;-)

Unknown said...

We love our school store. Hope your kids love it, too.