Friday, September 18, 2009

First Senior Meeting Class of 2010

As a mom to a Senior I sit back and think... WHERE did the time go? It seems like just last week he was climbing to the top of trees and scaring the daylights out of the grandma that lives behind us (we adopted her). Is it possible that in just one short school season these kids will be going off to college and setting a path for their own future families?

I am thrilled that Nick is going to be graduating on my 36th B-day. When I was younger and everyone commented on how much I missed out by being such a young mom... all I could think of was that WHEN he graduated I was going to be the youngest mom there... and I would be able to enjoy life MUCH more with grown children instead of just having babies. Now that I look back, I am surprised at how very excited I am that I am able to enjoy this occasion and look forward to the future with hope and promise! I truely AM enjoying life so much more now that I ever would have back then.

So back to the point. We had our first official meeting. The seniors all got together and chose their graduating colors. They picked dark green and gold. I guess thats MUCH better then Teal. Only about 40 kids showed up for the first meeting, however the graduating class should grow to about 125 by the end of October. The kids are planning their own graduation, senior activities and signed up for the "board" they wanted to serve on. Nick was asked by the director this year if he would be one of 5 kids on an advisory panel. So the boards will meet with the advisory panel and then the panel will meet with us. I am so excited for the kids! I can't wait to see what all they come up with!


Here are some willing parents taking a look at the committee sign up sheets. Hopefully most of them volunteered!











Body language speaks a thousand words, doesn't it? I am kicking myself for NOT taking a picture of these guys after their hour and a half meeting in this room. When they went in they were quiet and not quite sure WHAT to think... and they all came out laughing and having a great time. In the last picture sits Nick... My cool cucumber...

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

This blog just makes me want to cry. Very touching hon. It will not be long before I will be blogging about my oldest going off to college. It is so bittersweet.

Julia said...

Jenn, I love this post <3 And I absolutely love your thoughts on being a young mom. you are so right about enjoying life so much more when you are older as opposed to when you are young ;)

Tisha said...

How cool! It has to be bittersweet. :)

~Jenn~ said...

Awe... Thanks guys... It's true. I think sending our kids out into the world has got to be one of the hardest things a parent has to do. That is, unless they don't have a good relationship with their kids.

Unknown said...

What a bittersweet thing to have a son so close to graduation!